Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 13: Witnessing to a Sabir a Muslim

There has been alot of discussion recently about Muslims due to the mosque that is planned to be built at the site of the September 11th terrorist attacks in New York. While the topic is a sensitive topic, it does offer a good opportunity to talk with people and especially Muslims on what they believe and why.

In sharing my faith, I have had some opportunities to talk with Muslims and share viewpoints on why I believe what I do and vice versa. If I can't answer a question or understand something, I find it helpful to be ready the next time by studying what that person believes and the next time hopefully be able to answer any questions of defend my faith better.

On this particular day, I found myself on the campus of Auburn University of Montgomery or AUM. While there, I was able to distribute many tracts as well as have some great conversations, one conversation being with a young student named Sabir.

I had given him a tract and walked with him as he read it. Making conversation, I pointed out that the tract used God's Law or Ten Commandments to show a person their sin, as a school master of sort ~Galatians 3:24.

Carefully examining the tract, he asked if I made it. I told him that they were from Livingwaters.com. After discussing a bite more, he told me he was a Muslim. In my head I was was delighted, because I had just read up on what Muslims believe a few days before and loathed at the opportunity to ask him about what I learned.

It was then, that my mind went blank; reminding me of school during a test, all the studying you did the night before, just seemed to disappear. My mind went blank, all but the Five Pillars of Islam. I questioned him on them and he politely explained to me what they were.

Known as the 'Five Pillars' of Islam, they are the foundation of Muslim life:
  1. Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad;
  2. Establishment of the daily prayers;
  3. Concern for and almsgiving to the needy;
  4. Self-purification through fasting; and
  5. The pilgrimage to Makkah for those who are able.
Looking at the pillars, I asked him why does he keep them. "To help keep you free from sin," he said. Much like the way a Christian prays and fast and gives to the needy and believes in God. I responded.

Continuing on, I recalled that Muslim's believe in the first five books of Moses or the Torah. And after speaking with Sabir, he said that they believe that Jesus died on a cross and rose from the dead and was a prophet that will one day return and judge the earth.

I found it interesting that we agreed somewhat on the first and last parts, but in the middle, there were alot of discrepancies. To them, by Sabir's account, you do good deeds and you are forgiven.

Sabir shared with me as well that I find worth sharing is that if you commit a sin, you can ask for forgiveness from Allah and he will forgive you, if you do it again, there can not be no forgiveness. When he said that, I asked him how many times he has apologized for lying and did it again the next day. He looked at me as if caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

I then continued on with Law, which he agreed with and the understanding that a price had to be paid because we broke the Law. That the fine for the sins we have committed against God is death and that we could not earn our salvation, that God demands payment. Then giving him the gospel, what Christ did on the cross, and how He paid for our sins, paying the fine for the crime against God.

Sabir just looked and I'm not sure what was going on in his head or his heart, I pray though that God was working with him. Afterward, we talked a bit more then shook hands and both departed on our way.

The point to be made here, is that it was not my intention to outsmart him or know more than he did. But to be honest with what I believe and let the spirit do the work in his heart. Why it is important to be able to give an answer of what and why you believe what you do, we should never just rely on our intellectual knowledge to win a person to Christ. All should depend on Christ working in that person.

Sabir without a doubt knew more than I on the Muslim faith and I more than him on the Christian faith. But keeping it simple and showing him what all men from everywhere have in common, that we all have broken God's Law, that a payment for doing so much be paid, which is death, and the good news of the Gospel that Christ went to the cross and paid that fine. That God calls all men to repent and faith in His son Jesus for the forgiveness of sin~ Acts 17:30.

I hope you find this day encouraging as I did. I did not know what this day would hold, that I would meet Sabir and have the chance to share with him the Gospel. My pray and I hope that it would be yours would be that God would indeed draw this young man as well as the many others that received a tract or spoke with me to repentance and faith in Christ.

Below are a few links that provide information on what other religions and cults believe. You may find them helpful as you study some of what others believe the next time there is are Jehovah Witnesses at your door or your own encounter with a Muslim. But do remember that it should not our goal to simply win arguments and debates, but to win souls for Christ.

Be well and light the darkness,

David
EvangelizeYourCity.org

No comments:

Post a Comment