Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 6: Witnessing To Those That Had been Drinking


On Day 6 of this journal, the opportunities given to practice sharing the gospel was again nothing short of interesting and a learning experience. There was preaching, tract passing, one two one conversations, bibles slapped out of hands and people cursed out. As well as some that seemed to come to the knowledge that they were sinners in need of a Savior.

I was joined this night by a group of friends as well as about 20 youth from Operation Impact that had been traveling around the country in a bus preaching on campuses, streets, parks, wherever given the opportunity to, they were there. I watched as these young people preached and witnessed, it was pretty amazing to see young people carrying conversations with people on things other than music or the latest fad of the day, but that of the good news of Jesus Christ.

As I mentioned, this was a learning experience for myself, even though I normally go out in this area weekly and preach and witness. As I go, I typically stray from those that a had been drinking. Personally, I find it very hard to reason with one whose mind is intoxicated so much that they even have trouble standing. I would rather just give them a tract and prayerfully after they sober up, read it them and repent and come to Christ.

These young people though, had no issue with it. I watched them speak to a few people that had been drinking that had gotten upset with the preacher. To them, the preacher was condemning and judgmental them for preaching repentance and to put off all ungodliness ~ Titus 2:12

Those that were sober either walked away or stood around as the drunk people, just brought attention to themsleves by yelling, cursing, and making excuses for themselves.

One man, who said he was a Christian that was indeed drunk, became so angry at a young man witnessing to him, that he slapped the Bible out of his hand. While another cursed profanities at those preaching and witnessing that again professed to know Christ and that no one can judge him.

Later on, I would get a chance to share Christ with those I normally stray from. Walking with Rafael, a good buddy, we came across about 5 people sitting across the Alley Bar downtown. As we walked toward them, I mentioned to Rafael that I hate dealing with drunk people and thought about going the other way. Little did I know, God had different plans.

As we approached the small group, I started by giving each of them a tract. One man had indeed had way to much to drink. Cursing profanities as if he had no other words in his vocabulary. All in a calm manner by the way thankfully, not a mean drunk.

Somehow, I found myself speaking and explaining to them the tract instead of a drop and go tactic. They all, as usual professed to know Christ, but I explained to them that if we love Him we would obey Him and turn from all sin~ John 14:23. I continued to explain the importance of repentance, a turning from sin and shared an illustration that I use on the consequences of sin and how we should have nothing to do with it.

Imagine later tonight as they shoot fireworks off, they let your mom or your child participate by lighting them. As your child or mother lights a firework, you realize that they had just lit a stick of dynamite. Well you take that dynamite from them and throw it as far away from them as possible. Then you wrap your arms around them and run as far away in the other direction as possible. Why did you do that?

"To save their life." They replied. Indeed, because if you are anywhere near the dynamite when it goes off, it will destroy you. Sin is the same way. It will destroy you. For the wages of SIN is death I continued ~ Romans 6:23. Not to just leave them with bad news, I made sure they were ready for the gospel. As I tried to explain what Christ had done for us and why, one man kept butting in cursing, but everyone else listened hard. I just ignored him and continued with the gospel. That although, the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. I encouraged them to examine their hearts, to repent of all sin and to turn to Christ as the only hope for their salvation.

Each of them, even the loud cursing man, thanked each of us for sharing this with them. It is my prayer for them and all who heard the preaching, received a tract or had a conversation with someone would indeed be drawn to Christ. It was a great night filled with lots of encouragement.

Dealing with drunk people is still tough, I would still rather pass a tract and go. If the spirit leads me to continue with a one two one, I pray I take it. Other wise they make great hecklers to draw a crowd.

I look forward to Day 7 of this journal and hope that you are encouraged by this journal as I have been with the opportunities given to share such good news.

Lighting the darkness~

David

EvangelizeYourCity.org

No comments:

Post a Comment