Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 10: Why didn't someone tell me?


What is the temperature in your area? 89 degrees? How about 74 degrees? If your like many in America, it is probably more like 101 degrees. I recall hearing a few weeks back that this past summer has been the hottest summer on record. I don't have a problem agreeing with that and I doubt anyone would disagree with me.

In my own city it has been an extremely hot summer. To make matters worst, my truck doesn't have an air conditioner, hasn't had one in over 7 years. Reason being is that 7 years ago, the heater core went bad and leaked out all the coolant and in doing so, made my truck run hot causing a head casket to blow.

Total price for the head casket was around $500 bucks. To repair the heater core would have cost another $500 bucks on top of that. So being me and frugal, just settled for a 220. That is 2 windows down and at least 20 miles per hour.

For 7 years, that has worked just fine. There have been days though when a nice cool air conditioner would have been great to have, like this past summer for instance.

The topic of having no air conditioner has came up many times in the past years, just as it did a few weeks back. A good friends and I were discussing the heater core situation when he told me that the heater core had nothing to do with the air conditioner. "Really?" I thought. So yesterday I decided to take a look to see of that was true. After examining the fuses, I realized I had taken the ac/heater fuse out.

After taking a fuse from the horn to place in the ac/heater slot, I cranked my truck up. Instantly I felt something coming out of my truck I had not felt in some time. It wasn't cold brisk air, but it was cold air. I had an air conditioner!

To my amazement, I sat in my truck turning the air off and on. Something I had not done in years. Wow...then I felt dumb. All this time, all these summers, all these sticky hot days and all I needed was a fuse?

I went to the parts place to get some more fuses to replace the one I took from the horn. Inside I could not help but share it with people. Everyone I spoke to thought it was pretty funny and indeed it was.

Having to go to the store gave me the chance I wanted to pass out a few tracts. Since I had already spoken to some about my mishap, giving them a tract and them receiving it, was allot easier.

Looking at this situation, I kept telling myself that there is a sermon in here somewhere. For over 7 years, I have driven this truck everywhere through the blistering heat. If I had only known that I needed was a simple little fuse. As many that I shared with that my air did not work, you would have thought, one person, at least one person would have told me that the heater core has nothing to do with the air. If they did, could you imagine how different some of my days would have been?

When I look at the situation, I can't help but see the importance of sharing the gospel with others. Can you imagine how different your life would have been if you have heard the gospel at a much earlier age and responded with a true repentant heart? If only someone had told you?

Imagine all those lost in this world? Imagine all those placing their trust in things other that Christ? Imagine how different life would be or how different eternity would be? Although there is some humor in this story, there is none whatsoever in the fact that we do not share the gospel with others. Christ has commanded each of us, everyone who is a follower of Christ to share the good news, to make disciples of all men. Matthew 28:19

If we are truly saved and know Christ, we have a testimony on what our life was like before we were saved and what life is like now. While life may not be full of the best all the time, we have something great to share. All the motivation we really need is that He saved us. Please look what our Lord has done for you. Look at the great length God has went to save each of us, by sending His son to die on a cross in our place. What more motivation do we really need than that?

I hope you would continue to pray for those opportunities and the people I witness with and that you may be encouraged somehow to be bold and to seek out those opportunities in your own city and to share the gospel with all you can and bring glory to our Lord and Savior.

Lighting the darkness,
David
EvangelizeYourCity.org

No comments:

Post a Comment