Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 21: Dealing with the Police

As I went out today, in search of a new job, I stopped by AUM, A local university in Montgomery to pass out some tracts and preach the gospel. This would be my first time preaching on this campus, so I wasn't sure how things would pan out.

After speaking to some students for some time, I found my spot and began to preach. My sermon wasn't elaborate and filled with great illustrations, but it was the gospel. As I spoke, I panned the area to make eye contact with those looking on, in hopes that I as looked at them, they would get the perception, that I was speaking directly to them.

I closed and began to distribute tracts again. Within a few minutes, the campus police was on me. They politely questioned me if I had a free speech permit. "Wasn't aware I needed one," I said. They asked for my ID and ran it and all the millions I paid to the police must have cleared my record, I was clean.

As I dealt with the police, I keep my confidence and stood my ground and played dumb, I was confident at least that the last part would work; I had used it enough in as a kid to get out of trouble. :) I spoke politely to the police, inquiring about a permit, where and how I get one. They nicely gave me all the info I needed without incident.

Other than preaching, I was blessed to have witnessed one two one with a few groups of people. One being with a young man named Diablo (wasn’t his real name). Please remember him and all that received the gospel today in your prayers. May our Lord draw them all to Himself.

I know dealing with the police; can go many ways at times. There have been times, dealing with them, that I have almost ended up getting three hot’s and a cot, that’s going to jail by the way. But avoided it simply by being respectful and treating them not as I have a right to be here and share my faith, but being grateful for the opportunity to share His gospel. But, knowingly, hopefully not anytime soon, there will be that day when jail it will be.

Let me share with you a link that better explains dealing with the police. From a person who deals with them a lot more than I, Steve Sanchez or Stone the Preacher, that is him by the way in the above picture, check out the link and be ready next time you have a run in with the badge…

http://www.stonethepreacher.com/2008/04/15/on-dealing-with-the-police.html

I hope you find this day’s journal encouraging and that you are sharing your faith regularly. As you pray, please remember those I witnessed with and all I encountered.

Light the darkness,

David

EvangelizeYourCity.org

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It is good for people to understand that dealing with the police is just part of sharing the Gospel sometimes. Many people don't understand first amendment rights, so when they are offended by the Gospel, they call the police. Many college campuses do require a permit. But in many places, like parks and public streets, the police can actually come and back up the evangelist to explain the first amendment to those that call them. Keep up the good work for the Lord! I'll be praying for your job search.

    ReplyDelete