Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 30: Practice Practice Practice

One of my most favorite ways to witness is through passing out tracts. I have no problem the majority of the time engaging people with a tract and putting it in their hands. Friends have joked about me callings me the "tract-master" due to the fact that I know where to get tracts and always have some and love passing them out.


Well recently, I have been running low on tracts. Normally I have a good stash ready for any event or opportunity, but certain things have kept me from ordering as much as I do. I took my lack of tract to God in prayer and left with seeing my predicament as a way God was telling me to be bolder, engage people in conversation rather than just give them a tract and off I go.

Today was that day. I would be bold. I would engage people in conversation. As I made my way around downtown, I handed out tracts here and there, telling people what it was but not really engaging them in conversations.

One by one, I had opportunity to talk to people, even the mayor of Montgomery. I saw him walking and as he neared the crosswalk, I handed him a million dollar bill tract. He looked at it and asked what it was, and I explained to him that it was a gospel tract and off he went.

Another guy I met was a young man. He did not stick around to talk much, much after briefly emphasizing that we all die; every last one of us. He said by the was he lives his life; he would go to hell and just scampered on down the road as if that was just the way life was.

There were a few more people I spoke with but during all of my quick encounters, I found it hard to engage people in conversation. I had gotten so use to just passing out tracts and moving on, I was out of practice with one on one conversations.

I love tracts and don't ever see myself abandoning them. They are a great tool to witness with and can go places I can't. But, as we practice sharing our faith, I believe we should pray to be more bold in other avenues of witnessing.

Such as of course, engaging people in one two one conversations, maybe open air preaching or Prayer Station evangelism. There are many way to be a witness and I encourage you to look for opportunities to do just that, be a witness of the hope that is in you.

I have enjoyed these days writing this journal. It has been an interesting thirty days for me and I have thankful that I can look back on them and read about the opportunities given to me to practice sharing my faith in my own town and beyond. I hope you have been encouraged by this journal and are lighting the darkness in your own city.

Light the darkness~

David

EvangelizeYourCity.org

1 comment:

  1. Id be glad to help ,Teach you what i know along the ropes of the personal Evangelism you know my number. We can always grow..Blessings.

    ReplyDelete