Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 29: Witnessing at the Courthouse

The other day I came across some pictures and testimonies of some guys in California witnessing and preaching at their local courthouse and was reminded of a great opportunity to witness on the first Monday of each month at the local parole board. When I first began to open air preach; this was one of the first places I went to practice sharing my faith by preaching.

I woke up early and walked out the door prepared, as so I thought. I had forgotten my keys. I went back into the house and looked everywhere but they were no where to be found. My wife assisted me in locating them but by the time we found them, I knew I had missed the window to witness before they opened the doors to let people in.

I still made my way downtown and by the courthouse to see about six people standing outside waiting for the doors to open. I figured it was to small a crowd to preach so I just passed out some tracts and tried to engage some people in conversation.

As I was talking to a guy about the tract and the message, they opened the doors and he excused himself.

Afterward, I walked around and spoke with a few more people that would listen and passed out some more tracts. There wasn't as many people as in a big city, but still it was people in need of a savior.

Let me encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity to share the gospel at your local courthouse or DMV. Go one day and do recon you might say. Log the time of day in the morning when they unlock the door to let people in. Then go back one day early enough to engage them in conversation or to reach the gospel.

Here are a few links and resources I found that may offer some encouragement.

Facebook page for Courthouse DMV outreach
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=163168873693810&ref=mf#!/group.php?gid=113144578745766&ref=mf

A great tract made just for this type of witnessing, any tract will do though.
http://www.livingwaters.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=122&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=199&lang=en

"At the Courts" preaching."
http://www.livingwaters.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=34&Itemid=308&lang=en

One more day left! I honestly hope these journal post have encouraged you somehow to be a witness in your own city, sharing the gospel with all you know.

Lighting the darkness~
David

No comments:

Post a Comment